This is a very basic, classic sandwich; perfect on a hot summer day. The twist — we’re using fresh basil instead of lettuce. So instead of a BLT, this is a BBT: Bacon, Basil and Tomato.
I tend to have tons of basil and tomatoes in my garden this time of year. And to me, there’s nothing better on a hot summer day than this simple sandwich.
Serve with some fresh homemade lemonade (made with lemons, honey and water,) or some filtered water with mint or cucumber and you’ve got it made in the shade.
BBT: Bacon, Basil and Tomato Sandwich
Basil, fresh, 1 small bunch
Bacon, pastured and nitrate-free (8 slices) — where to buy
Sprouted or sourdough bread, or gluten-free bread (8 slices) — see my recipe
Mayonnaise, homemade — see my recipe (4 TBS)
Tomatoes, medium, organic if possible (2-3)
Black pepper, freshly ground — where to buy black pepper
[easyazon-link asin=”B00008GKDG” locale=”us”]Cast-iron skillet[/easyazon-link]
1. Rinse and dry the basil and tomatoes.
2. Fry the bacon over medium heat in a skillet until crisp, about 10 minutes.
3. Toast the slices of bread in the oven or toaster.
4. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise on each piece of toast.
5. Slice tomatoes at least 1/4-inch thick and layer slices on one of the pieces of bread.
6. Sprinkle the tomato slices with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
7. Place 2 slices of bacon over top of the tomatoes on each sandwich. Place the basil leaves on top of the bacon.
8. Top each sandwich with the remaining piece of toast and cut the sandwich in half.
9. Serve immediately.
Photo Credit zoyachubby on Flickr
Disclosure: I wrote this post while participating in the Sowing Millions Project by Real Food Media on behalf of Seeds of Change. I received product and exclusive content to facilitate my post. However, my thoughts and opinions are my own and not of those of Real Food Media or Seeds of Change.
cmp.ly/4 and cmp.ly/5
To leave a comment, click here to sign up (it's free) to become a member of this site.
Already a member? Click here to login.