Butternut squash soup is one of my very favorite soups. When the weather is cold, I crave soup. Butternut squash soup is extremely easy and quick to make. And chicken stock is so nourishing. When you add healthy fats and butter and sour cream, this is one of the most nutritious meals you can serve.
Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash, organic (1)
Onion, yellow or white, organic (1)
[easyazon_link identifier=”B01AYUZN66″ locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]Butter[/easyazon_link], grass-fed if possible (2 TBS) —
Chicken stock, homemade or organic (6 cups) — (click here to see my recipe)
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000EITYUU” locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]Sea salt[/easyazon_link] and freshly ground [easyazon_link identifier=”B003UKII9W” locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]black pepper[/easyazon_link] to taste
Optional: [easyazon_link identifier=”B001FVNM8K” locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]Nutmeg[/easyazon_link], whole or ground
Sour cream, grass-fed if possible
[easyazon_link identifier=”B000050AVC” locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]Roasting pan[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00ESVKJJY” locale=”US” tag=”cheeseslave0e-20″]Electric stick blender[/easyazon_link]
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape stringy bits and seeds out with a spoon or fork and discard.
3. Set squash halves skin side down in roasting pan. Place in oven and roast until fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes.
4. Chop onion.
5. When squash is done, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
6. Melt butter in stockpot over medium-low heat.
6. Add onion and cook until soft.
7. Add roasted squash (scrape out of skin with a spoon) and chicken stock.
8. Cook on medium-low to medium until squash is tender.
9. Remove stockpot from heat. Transfer squash chunks with slotted spoon into a blender and puree. You can also use an electric stick blender directly in the stockpot.
10. Return blended squash to stockpot.
11. Stir and season with (optional) nutmeg (freshly ground if possible), sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
12. Serve in bowls with dollops of sour cream.
Pin This Post:
Photo Credit: Veronique